Saturday, August 27, 2011

Lithops, aka living stones, stone faces ...

I have now officially killed my last lithop. I have tried to grow them several times with no success. I think I will now give up so as to spare any future victims. This partiular plant started off really well. I had it in a bright window and watered it only once a month. (They are very prone to rotting from over watering.) It grew and flourished through the winter. When the warm weather came I decided to try it outside. That is when the poor plant started its slow decline. A slug somehow got to it and scraped a large chunk out of it. So I brought it back inside but it never really recovered. For a short while I thought it had. A new set of leaves even grew out of it but they were so small and they shriveled as soon as the old leaves exposed it. That was the end. I can't help but wonder if I had kept it in the window if it would still be thriving. Maybe I will try them again someday down the road when I have more experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment